25-Oct-2012 – Edmonds’ Update
I have been struggling with what to write for this week’s update, which is definitely the reason that it is so late going out. After last week and God breaking me down like He did, I wanted an epiphany, a direction, something dynamic to share. Almost like I was saying “Ok God tell me what’s next. You showed me this poverty, these least of these…no what.” I don’t want to forget. I don’t want to lose sight of what breaks your heart. But honestly there has been an eerie silence. Have I not been listening? Do I need to pray more, study more, fast more, listen more? Then God answers me, literally as I write this update
Psalm 46:10 “Be Still and know that I am God”
So in short, yes I still desire the things that break God’s heart but I think He has me waiting and being still and knowing that He is God.
This week has been fun / exhausting / challenging and rewarding. The kids have been sick and last week even Amy and the kids got to check out Pediatric Associates here in Belize. Madeline had a blast and Amy thought it was good, so it looks like we have a doctor in Belize now! Note: Jojo is better; Madeline now has some sort of cold.
- Madeline – is growing up too fast. She says “mom and dad” now instead of “mommy and daddy” I am working quickly to change that! She loves puddles and crafts and coloring. Man she is Amy’s little girl through and through!
- Joseph – is trying to walk as much as he can. He walks while holding onto one hand and can cruise pretty well. His vocabulary is expanding, according to Amy. Although I think he just grunts a lot more.
- Amy – is working on “lesson plans” for Madeline. She has the first week done and I believe by the time Madeline is 5 she will be doing Algebra and have the whole Torah memorized. Not sure what I think about all of the things she has planned.
- Josh – is working a lot this week and preparing for a couple of days out of town next week, as I begin to travel to the West and South of the country. Also, I have made a name for myself on the court…and I know what some of you are thinking…there has been no trash talking…well, not much that is!
This weekend should (weather-permitting) be a family fun day. Madeline has filled up her “happy-heart” sticker chart, so we will be having a special daddy-daughter date of swimming, pizza, and ice-cream. I can’t wait!
On the Work Front
This week I have been in and around the city with some PPM guests from out of the country. This has been an exciting week to share what the family and I do down here in Belize with some and hear about PPM plans for the future.
Next week Burton and I are will be heading out West to meet with our pastors out there as we continue to develop community profiles for every community, every village, every church in Belize. Please be praying for us and our families as this trip out West will require for us to be gone a couple of days.
Also, I am beginning to prepare for our last two teams of the year. This is an exciting time for me and our family because now they get to be a part of the ministry that happens here in Belize when teams come down. I am excited for the teams to meet Amy and for Amy to see how we lead our teams!
Praises and Prayer Requests:
- Eustace –Continue to be lifting up his job situation and he and his wife. This situation is causing stress to their marriage
- Testimony/Ministry – Amy and I were talking about her potentially sharing her testimony at church in the next couple of weeks. We feel it would be an encouragement to the women to share what they are struggling with. Pray for Amy’s courage and for her sharing to open up opportunities for conversation.
- Teams – we have a team in just less than a month. Pray for open hearts in the Hattieville community and for openness among the team members. Pray specifically for the team leader, Chris, as he is feeling the stress of leading a team.
- Amy – Continue to be lifting up community for Amy. Saturday night she had a great time hanging out Pastor Mark’s wife, Shari. And Sunday we went to a church where Madeline and Jojo were NOT in service with us! Amy was able to talk with people there without watching after Madeline.
- Amy – Continue to pray for opportunities for Amy to do ministry. She just learned last night that our babysitter was an intern at the Youth Hostel. Pray that this week Amy can get to the Youth Hostel and learn how she can start volunteering.
- Mom – You all know that my mom’s mom passed away about a month ago. Last week my mom’s aunt and uncle passed away as well. My mom is having to take the responsibility to plan their services, start to settle the estate of Crazy Granny, etc. Pray for strength and rest during this trying time.
- Support Raising– We are seeking to get more monthly supporters, either on board now, or pledged to be a monthly financial partner next year. We are praying to have 60% of our financial support come from monthly gifts by the end of next month.
- If you are interested in giving please follow this link – https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ZZVK8FYCJXTS2
- If you cannot support now but want to pledge to be a monthly supporter next year, please email me directly at Joshua.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Belize – Belize needs men. We need men to be Christian examples in the church but really in the home. Pray for explosive growth of men in the church. Pray for men to realize they are broken without Christ. Pray for wisdom for the local church to reach men in ways they are not doing right now.
Sorry for things not so profound in this week’s update. Or at least not as emotional as last week. I will continue to be patient (not a fan of this!), and still and know that He is Lord. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. They are appreciated. I can’t wait to share with you what God does next week!
Because They Haven’t Heard,