Madeline’s favorite show right now is Jake and the Neverland Pirates. She loves that show! Squeals when it comes on. Sings the songs. Pretends to have treasure. Wears her pirate shirt from Aunt E-beth. Everything about Jake she loves. Amy and I were talking about names for the baby and for a boy’s name she really likes Jacob. I don’t care for Jacob because then people will say he was named after the dude from Twilight. And I thought this was my shot to get a real strong / different Biblical name. I mean after all here in Belize, Madeline’s best friend is Shadrach! I was thinking Zerubbabel or my goodness, have you ever read Luke 3? Great names in there.
Anyway, we are talking to Madeline about names and Amy tells her “Do you know what is a nickname for Jacob, Madeline…JAKE!?” Madeline loses her mind and now thinks that the baby HAS to be named Jake. She even brought her Jake book to Amy’s belly and said look baby that’s you while pointing to Jake in the book.
What does this has to do with this post?..oh yeah. ARRRRR. That’s the sound pirates make right? Well we went to Caye Caulker (an island off the coast of Belize) for a day of RRR. Rest, Relaxation, and Reflection. We had a great time! The kids loved riding on the boat to get there, staying in a hotel, playing in the water and sand, and they took 2 or 3 MONSTER NAPS while we were there, which Amy and I LOVED.
Seriously though, it was great to get away to rest and relax and reflect on the last 4 or so months. These next 4 months are going to fly by with trip leading, Madeline in school, and Amy volunteering at the Youth Hostel. We enter it now refreshed and ready to see what the Lord will bring!
Mark 6:30 – 31 “The apostles gathered around him and gave a report of all they had done and taught. Then because so many people were coming and going, they didn’t even get a chance to eat. Jesus said ‘Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest”
Rest is of the Lord. Take a moment before the year gets too crazy to get some rest. Take a half day and do nothing but rest in the Lord. I hear the weather in nice in NC, go for a walk. Get out and enjoy quiet. Our lives are too loud, too busy, too much that the Lord is often drown out. Get away to a quiet place and rest and wait to hear from the Lord. I know it will be refreshing. It was for us!
Belize Prayer Requests:
- Rafael’s marriage. Rafael works at the hotel where we were staying on the Caye and Saturday morning, he pulled me over as I was on my way to the trash can with a dirty diaper. Then for 20 minutes he sobbed to me about the state of his marriage and explained that he is currently sleeping outside his home due to the emotional and mental abuse he is receiving from his wife. NOTE: This is a HUGE admission from a Belizean man because men in Belize don’t admit weakness, especially to women. Pray for God to heal their marriage. Pray for wisdom and patience for Rafael. Pray for me as I will see Rafael on and off for the next 4 – 5 months. Pray that I have the wisdom to encourage both him and his wife.
- Trips – We have our first trips starting in 2 weeks. Pray for our staff here in Belize as we set up the remaining logistics. Pray for our teams that as they prepare, the Lord works in them a spirit of great boldness for the Gospel and love for all people!
- Reaching of young people – There is a competition in Belize right now for the young people. Gangs or other groups are pursuing aggressively those who are on the fringes. Please pray for the church to be willing to do whatever it takes, to do anything just short of sin to reach this group and bring them into the fold of the church. They are the next generation of pastors, missionaries, evangelists, political leaders
Personal Prayer Requests:
- Praise – Amy is feeling a little bit better. She is at 13 weeks right now. Pray for continued health of the baby and nausea to subside for Amy
- GREEN MOLD – Two nights ago as I was getting Madeline’s PJs to put on I noticed that the clothes from her dresser looked “dusty”. Upon further examination, it was green mold and it had covered the entirety of her dresser. I checked the dresser in our room and night stands (same bedroom suit) and sure enough green mold everywhere. We think we have treated it and it is gone. Pray for the mold to stay away, not spread, and not cause any sickness in our house.
- Happy To Share – Every day from school, we get the same report on Madeline. She was great But she wasn’t happy to share. Please pray for us to be able to parent Madeline to be happy to share and for her to “get it!”
- Support Raising – We are actively raising support for the next year. Plan is developed and now we are approaching potential financial supporters. Please pray for us that we are disciplined and that God’s favor would be on us. Pray for us to exceed our end of Feb goal of 50% pledged !
- If you are interested in contributing financially to our support in Belize. Please visit http://www.prayingpelicanmissions.org/donate, scroll to find Josh and Amy Edmonds and follow the directions from there. No gift is too small or insignificant!
This week take some time to REST! REFLECT! RELAX! RRR. Now off to talk to Amy about kids’ names again…..