Wow…it’s been way way too long. Typical statement of routine blogger. But for me it has been way too long. A lot has happened. Two weeks ago we were preparing for trips coming to Belmopan and Orangewalk and then last week I was leading the trip in Orangewalk Belize.
On the trip….
The trip was awesome! The team has been returning to Belize since 2008 and has extremely close relationships with the local Belizean church. The trip was full of many highlights. We completed a foundation and painted a house for one family, built two roofs, held a dental clinic at a local school, vacation bible school, and the most powerful prayer ministry I have ever been a part of. The one highlight for me was sitting in a men’s bible study on Tuesday night and listening to all these Belizean men weeping as they were calling for prayer and praying over others. Belize men weeping! I was blown away. I then heard as the local pastor shared that the group leader in 2008 encouraged him to start a men’s bible study. He started in 2008 with his family and now more than 30 men meet every week! Praise God for men coming to know the Lord in Belize. It was a true blessing for me to serve this team and facilitate the continuing of this relationship!
Amy continues to teach the kids at the hostel. Madeline continues to be Madeline (which is an endless ball of energy and love). Jojo is still Jojo and loves animal noises (making and hearing them), and pointing to his diaper when he poops and trying to say “stinky.” Amy is about 16 weeks pregnant (I think) and her belly is growing steadily! We are excited in the next month to see if we are having a boy or girl. We have bought tickets to come back to NC in mid-May, so write Amy to get on our schedule for the week!
How God is Teaching Me? – Engaged!
So I was on Facebook the other day and saw that two people that went to Starting Point Church got engaged! Congratulations to them if they are reading this update!! Anyway, then I read this statement about being engaged.
“Watching Ryan lose himself in love reminded me that being ‘engaged’ isn’t just an event that happens when a guy gets on one knee and puts a ring on his true love’s finger. Being engaged is a way of doing life, a way of living and loving. It’s about going to extremes and expressing the bright hope life offers us, a hope tha
t makes us brave and expels darkness with light. That’s what I want my life to be all about — full of abandon, whimsy, and in love. I want to be engaged to life and with life.” – Love Does by Bob Goff
I was watching the video of these two people getting engaged and thought about all the details he must have gone through (he proposed at the school he teaches at talent show). He left no detail to chance. He worked with every ounce of his brain to make sure the night was perfect just the way he thought she would love. Great effort. He was engaged in the night / event to make sure he was engaged.
I thought about when I proposed to Amy. How I made sure every detail was perfect. How I was pouring with sweat out of nerves or out of care. I was ready to show Amy in one event the extent of my amazing love for her….
That’s the love that our Creator has for us. Each detail of the earth, each talent gift that we have….all of it was a bridegroom giving these things to his bride. We are his beloved. God loves us more than we love our kids, more than we love our parents, wives, husbands, even more than we love ourselves. Because of his great love for us, because God is engaged in loving us…we should love others.
Engagements are events for most of us. One time affairs….a moment in time. But what if we lived a life engaged, invested in loving others. What if we took every moment, every detail of our lives and focused on loving the people when come into contact with. What if we looked instead at love as “love is” but as “love does?”
Prayer Requests – Belize
- Praise – We had two great trips just finish up. One team served in Belmopan and the other in Orangewalk. Pray for those teams as they head home and pray for those communities to continue to live in the encouragement that the teams provided.
- Death in the family at Hattieville Baptist Church – the “mother of the church” passed away this past week. Pray for her children and the rest of our church family as we mourn the loss of Sister Dye and celebrate her life.
- Trips / Work – Next trip starts this weekend. This is a potential longer term partner, specifically in the medical field. Pray for his eyes to be open to the need and potential of doing medical ministry here in Belize.
- Young People – Many young people struggle with alcohol and drugs. Please pray for the teens (specifically males) to be released from this bondage. Pray that they are able to kick the addiction and seek the help they need. Pray instead of alcohol / drugs, youth pursue Christ.
Personal Prayer Requests
- Amy – Continue for her to feel well (nausea has passed). Pray for health and safety of the baby and for a healthy checkup next week.
- Sickness in family – Madeline, Joseph and I are battling a cough of some sort. Please pray for our immediate healing.
- Love Does – Pray for me as I look for opportunities to have our family pour out our love to the community through service. Pray that my family has an attitude of Love does instead of love is.
- Support Raising – We are raising support for the 2013 – 2014 timeframe. Pray for us as we develop our plan and contact our potential financial partners. Praise God we are at 47% of our financial support pledged or raised. We are praying to have 50% of our support pledged by the end of Feb! Please pray for open hearts and generosity. Also, pray what the Lord would have you do to contribute financially to our ministry in Belize
- If you are interested in contributing financially to our support in Belize. Please visit http://www.prayingpelicanmissions.org/donate, scroll to find Josh and Amy Edmonds and follow the directions from there. No gift is too small or insignificant!
Thank you for your prayers! We appreciate each and every one of you more than you all could possibly imagine or understand. We can’t wait to hear stories from you all as you move into a life grasping that love really does….
Because they haven’t heard,