Disclaimer: I am a HUGE NERD.I have weird habits and hobbies (wrestling, as an example). But I LOVE to read. I don’t have a lot of time to read but like to try and read a chapter or 50 pages a day. Let’s just say I get to read that much about 2 times a week.
I made a goal in 2013 to read a book a month and actually read 15 books!
This year my goal was 24 books and well let’s say I didn’t quite get there BUT I did read 16 or so.
I also realized after Amy read the same Christian Fiction book for the 3rd time, only she gets all the way to the end of the book and says “hey I’ve read this before, that I need to start recording the things I have read.
So no better place to do this than a blog post. Here is my bookshelf for 2013, 2014, and my proposed bookshelf for 2015 (based on current Christmas presents).
Note: Special thanks to pastor friends: Nathan, Jeremy, and Matthew for their suggestions. Thanks to my boss / mentor Rob for his suggestions, although they mostly are too contemplative for me. Thanks to Dennis who keeps me into the “back story of history” type books as well. I expect to add to my 2015 list when I see Dennis and his bride Mary at our April staff meetings!
Disclaimer 2: Except for Twilight Harry Potter, and maybe Hunger Games, I read exclusively non-fiction, so these lists reflect that!
- Unleash by Perry Noble
- David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
- 11 rings by Phil Jackson
- Last Lecture by Randy Pousch
- Real Marriage by Mark Driscoll
- I heard you paint houses Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran and the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, and the Last Ride of Jimmy Hoffa by Charles Brandt
- Love Does by Bob Goff
- In the Name of Jesus by Norueii
- Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
- Red Moon Rising
- Shadow of the Almighty
- King Jesus Gospel
- Surprised by Hope
- Let the Nations be Glad
- The Squared Circle: Life and Death History of Professional Wrestling by Shoemaker
- Life Together by Bonhoffer
- Forgotten God by Chan
- Overwhelmed by Perry Noble
- Book on Speaking in Tongues (can’t remember the name or author)
- Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of WWII by Zuckoff
- Emperor of all maladies a biography of cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
- AHA by Kyle Idleman
- 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by Maxwell
- Mind’s Eye by Oliver Sacks
- The Power of Habit by Duhig
- Some book about the US Ambassador to Germany during the rise of Hitler (can’t remember name or author)
- Blue Burqa (can’t remember name or author), some book about a woman serving as a missionary and business woman in Afghanistan and the differences in culture.
- What about the Man by Matt Perkins
- Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton
- Heaven by Randy Alcorn
- Tradecraft by ???
2015 – proposed list currently
- Think Fast / Think Slow – by Kahnemana
- Console Wars by Blake Harris
- A God-sized Vision: Revival Stories that stretch stir by Hansen
- Boundaries for Leaders by Henry Cloud
- Slaves, Women & Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis by Webb
- Lasting Lessons from the Corner Office
- Code Talkers
- The Dude’s Guide to Manhood
- People Raising
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Church History in Plain Language
- The Treasure Principle
- Jim Henson Biography
- No Easy Day
- Mere Christianity
- Screw Tape Letters
If you want my thoughts on any of these, please let me know. Currently, my computer is losing it’s mind with the mouse pad and it taken about 2 hours too long.
Merry Christmas and Happy Reading!