What are your New Year’s Resolutions? A pastor friend mentioned that we only have a 2% chance of completing our proposed resolutions, so that’s encouraging! Nonetheless, I will share some because I believe in accountability and encouragement from others running this race with me. Without further ado, mine, Josh’s, New Year Resolutions.
- Gain a greater understanding of God’s character through enhanced spiritual disciplines and seeking His Face. This will be accomplished by having a consistent time and place for a quiet time and practicing for the first time the Spiritual disciplines of fasting and silence (EXTREMELY hard for me).
- Have the love I have for my family and specifically my wife shine a bright light on God’s love for all those around me. This involves taming my tongue and praying for peace, joy, and patience in all circumstances with my family (even when I don’t want those things). 2015 is the year that people ask us about our love as a family and God allows us the opportunity to use those conversations to share the Gospel and the grace of Jesus Christ.
- Share God’s grace and the joy of Christ and the Gospel with 12 people, ultimately having the Lord lead these twelve people into a relationship with Him.
- Run a 1/2 marathon.
- Do 25,000 pushups.
- Read 20 books.
- Increase language proficiency in Spanish by completing all Duo Lingo (AWESOME app by the way) lessons.
- Learn 4 songs on the guitar so I can lead my family in worship by the end of the fall.
There you have it. Some tangible resolutions, some are not so tangible. All are honestly how I desire the Lord to move in me and through me in 2015. Pray with me in 2015 that I am not in the 2% who come up short. We’ll revisit these in 6 months and then again at the end of the year! Now onto some prayer requests and praises.
Update from the remaining time in the States
- Well our remaining time in the States was not so awesome. Some 3 day high fever, flu-like virus devastated each family member but Madeline starting with Amy then me then Elijah then Jojo. It started on Christmas day and then just punished us. But we persevered! Now I, Josh, have a lingering sinus infection but The Lord heals.
Update from Returning to Belize
- We got back to Belize 1-week ago now. Praise God! Our HOUSE WAS MOLD FREE! We are so blessed! It was a MIRACLE! Michelle has made it to Belize and we are adjusting nicely to being a family of 6. We are so excited about the opportunities the Lord has in front of us for this next season!….now only if the rain stops.
- House – Our House was mold free when we returned! We are so thankful the Lord protected our house while we were gone! He is FAITHFUL!
- Cars – Most of the cars are working awesome! Praise God.
- Community – Michelle is here! She is an answer to help with the kids but more than that she is answer to your prayers for community for us, and specifically for Amy. I can’t express the weight that has been lifted off of me as I know Amy can have conversations with an adult while I am out. Also, we have had so many friends stop by to visit since we have been back.
- Kids – Yesterday we were at Paula’s church in Western Belize. The kids were asked to draw a picture of what they wanted for their friends in 2015. Jojo asked for me to draw a picture of his friend Christopher having a great birthday and Madeline drew a picture of her telling her friend Bella about Jesus. My heart melted!
- Furlough – Our time in the States was great! We enjoyed all things American and Southern (biscuits, sweet tea, Krispy Kreme, and Chick-Fil-A.). I also was able to cook a super nice meal for Amy one night (tuna!) so yay for that!
- Community – Continue to pray for community within Hattieville. Pray for opportunities to pour ourselves out for Kimbell, her family, Bella and Christopher and others that He puts in our path. Pray for others to come alongside of us and offer encouragement. Pray how the Lord can use you to reach out to us and encourage!
- Basketball – No update on basketball. I went to the court on Saturday afternoon with the kids. And their still hasn’t been any repair to the lights. It looks like I wont be playing basketball with them anytime soon. Pray for the light to get fixed immediately!
- Work – I am so excited about this year! We have so many awesome ministry opportunities ahead of us as an organization and ahead of us as a family. Pray for the first team of the year that starts on Jan 24th. It’s a team that I have the blessed opportunity to lead for the 3rd year in a row! We are expanding some new ministries in a couple of different locations so pray for that as well! Also, on that I am training some of our summer interns. Pray for the team from Wisconsin, the interns, and the pastors (Angel, and Rosaura).
- Family – Pray for our family. Pray for Jesus love to be forefront in everything that we do. We are currently battling some back-talking from Madeline and hitting from Jojo, so pray that these things would be dealt with appropriately and lovingly and that the Lord would take them away!
- Financial Support – We are in a positive place right now with financial support. If the Lord is moving in your heart to contribute to what He is doing in Belize through Praying Pelican Missions and our family, contact me directly and we can get you all the information you need.
The Lord is up to something special this year. I don’t know how to explain it but I feel it. I know it. I am believing it. There is a lot to do for sure. But there is a lot of God to understand and grow in knowledge of. New ministries, new teams. We have new staff both Belizean and American. We have new teams. We have 6 trips right now heading to the South of Belize, the place I wrote in October that felt the Lord had forgotten about them. God is up to something and we have the opportunity to play a small part. 2014 was a banner year….the best ever in all ways. But 2015….the best is yet to come! I can’t wait to share with you all God’s best in 2015!
Because they haven’t heard,
A post for later this week – Sharing the man I found, who can only be described as a man after God’s own heart.