I loved the TV show GI Joe growing up. Funny thing: I never really played with the toys. I was much more into wrestling and transformers and He-Man than GI Joes.
But the cartoon….that was gold!
Anyway, at the end of each episode they always had a moment which ended up with the saying “And now you know and knowing is 1/2 the battle.”
I feel that knowing and maybe more specifically not knowing brings along uncertainty and worry. At least that’s how I feel in our lives. Amy and I have noticed through some times with the girls knowing and not knowing brings unwanted stress, worry, frustration, anger, tears,
It really had me contemplating. You only know what you know. So that’s brought some humor, frustrating times, and just times we are left stumped. We wanted to share a couple of those things:
- Frustration – There are many times when either me (Josh) or Amy are heading out somewhere (e.g. take kids to school, gym, a run, etc) that Z gets nervous asking when is _____ coming back? Are we going to be left alone? Slowly over the last 7 weeks, she has realized that she isn’t left alone and we will always come back but I guess you only know what you know.
- Stumped – Amy took the girls to the store the other day. Now we hadn’t gone on this adventure with them yet. Typically Amy or I were going to the store by ourselves or we were ordering groceries online. Anyway, Amy and Z and L head to the store and when they return Amy tells me the story. Apparently Z’s head was darting back and forth, looking up and down. Amy noticed the behavior and asked “what are you doing” Z’s responded: “Looking for cameras. Mommy asked me to look for those when we shopped.” Stumped. You only know what you know.
- Humor: Yesterday there was a court hearing about the case. Amy was speaking to the social and our Foster Care Supervior. Z heard “court” and said how much she loved court. Amy asked her why. Z mentioned that she loved all the food places, like McDonalds and sometimes they had places to play. Amy (better than I would have done) held in her laughter and gently redirected Z that she was referencing a food court and that wasn’t the same kind of court Amy was referring to. You only know what you know.
How are we day in and day out, moment by moment it depends. Sometimes are frustrated. Sometimes we are stumped. Sometimes we are laughing . Right now more often than not, we wish we knew.
We wish we knew all of the family backstories. We wish we knew how to best love, serve, and meet needs of Z and L. We wish we knew what Madeline, Jojo, Elijah really thought about our new family dynamic. We wish we knew the best way to respond. We wish we knew the answer to “what’s going to happen with the girls.” We wish we knew what was a made up kid story and what was real when Z tells us something we think may sound crazy.
We wish we knew because if we knew, at least accordingly to GI Joe that’s half the battle.
Praises / Prayer Requests:
- Prayer – Wisdom / Discernment – Update: We are continuing to learn about Z especially. Her behavior ebbs and flows. Amy has been doing extensive research and we are scheduling a larger meeting to help us learn more about Z’s brother to see if there is any insight. Pray for peace. Pray for wisdom. Pray that we respond correctly that I (Josh) model Amy’s lead from her wisdom and research to respond in wise manner when Z’s behavior “shuts down”
- Financial Support – If you all didn’t know, my job doesn’t pay a “full-time” salary such that we can “live on”. Therefore, Amy and I raise funds from people sponsoring us for ____ / month in order to meet our financial goals and, in this season, for Amy to stay at home. We are still praying for 10 more families to jump in and commit to financially supporting us for $50/month from June 2017 – July 2018. If you are interested in learning more about what that means, the return on your investment, what are family budget is, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
- Prayer – Dental Work – Update: FIRST REPAIR APPOINTMENT WAS A HUGE SUCCESS!! Yay! Now we just have 2 more repair appointments to correct additional decay and damage. Pray for Z to continue to be calm and trusting!
- Prayer – Preaching – Update: Sermon is polished and I am preaching through it over the next few days. Pray for me personally, as the weight of communicating God’s Word weighs on me. Pray specifically for me to FOCUS and for our house to be a place of peace. This Sunday I would appreciate any FB, IG posts, texts, emails etc just saying y’all are praying for me as I communicate God’s Truth to our church. If you are local to Winston, I would love to see you at our North Campus in Rural Hall that weekend. For directions check out our page: Revo Church.
- Praise – POTTY TRAINING – Praise and Prayer Request. L is mostly peeing on the potty (awesome!). She is even doing this on her own, knowing when to go, getting up there, doing her thing, and getting down! That’s great. BUT every stinkin (pun intended) night she waits until she goes to bed to poop. And then comes out of her room to tell us to change her pull up! We’ll get there!
Friends! Thank you so much for your continued love and support of our family. Thank you for your encouragement. Please continue to reach out to us and encourage us. Those words of affirmation are like wind in our sails. Call, text, email. Thank you for loving us so well! Life is adventurous. I guess you only know what you know and knowing is half the battle!