Life is full of seasons. Some seasons call for a family to grow. Some seasons call for a family to move overseas. Some seasons call for a family to move back. Some seasons call for a family to grow again. And some seasons call for a change vocationally to more align with God’s call upon one’s life.
Recently our family walked through the last season above. And on July 12, I resigned from my position at Praying Pelican Missions. Below is an exert from my resignation letter.
Working at Praying Pelican Missions and before that a Praying Pelican Missions trip to Belize is what the Lord used to grab my heart and my personal pursuit of the American dream and literally changed me. From 2007 – present, our family truly had one of the wildest rides. We have experienced the best of times and the worst of times and Praying Pelican Missions has played a HUGE role in facilitating, encouraging and supporting our family adventures of pursuing the Lord.
Now is no different. After months of volunteering, I have been offered the opportunity to serve our church here in Winston Salem as Children’s Pastor. When I think back on my time serving as a Pelican, and if you served with me when I was a participant you would recall, The Lord has equipped me to serve with kids. I truly live out the scripture where David is dancing in front of the ark of the covenant and says to his wife (after she gives him a talking to) “I will gladly all the more act like a fool for God.”
I believe strongly as does Amy and our entire family and counsel that this is an opportunity to act like a fool for God. We believe in Listening to Jesus and doing what He says. He has said now is the time to go.
As with any transition, I am nervous. I am sad. Are there relationships that I will miss? Surely. But I am confident that Lord will bless you and keep you. May we all continue to the Listen to Jesus do what he says.
So here we are, really stepping into our calling to encourage build up and serve the local church. We are so excited about everything going on at Revo Church. We are so excited to have pursued God here (a story on what led us to Revo Church for a later date….that’s a crazy story that begins with a friendship between Amy and one of our neighbors here back when they were in elementary school together). And we are excited about the work we have been able to be a part of thus far and ready for what God has before us.
Now for what you really want an update on the kiddos!
- Glasses – For those that have been following social media, Jojo got glasses over the last month. Now after Elijah’s appointment, it looks like glasses may be in his future as well!
- Remodel – With the transition to working at church, my need for an office away from the kid traffic through the house decreased. We had the boys sharing a room with Madeline and it was tense in the best of times. Some paneling taken down, and framing / dry wall and a new window and presto, Madeline has her own room and the boys are now sharing my old office as their bedroom! Everyone has enjoyed the transition and the boys have promptly returned to being messy boys!
- Remodel Church – Amy and I had the amazing opportunity to help renovate a children’s ministry area in an existing church that gifted our church their facility! This was back in February of this year! We are now working on an update at our 2nd church campus! We are so thankful for the volunteers whose sacrifice is allowing kids to meet Jesus and literally spark a revolution of life-change through Him in their lives!
- Note: When Amy and I bought our house here in Winston and realized that it needed some work (new floors in a couple of places, water damage treatment, walls sealed, paint, etc.) we felt really silly. Especially after moving back from Belize, our house was great but we knew we felt prompted to fix our house and some areas specifically for the opportunity to open it up to a small group. Amy and I were talking and realized that God doesn’t waste anything. During those light updating projects, He was giving us knowledge (really me design ideas and Amy knowledge and skill….I’m not fooling anyone). He was giving us the knowledge to help with these projects at church (ala: Bezalel and Oholiab from Exodus 31). And on a way more important note, we are so incredibly blessed to be at a church that has way more Bezalel and Oholiab who are so gracious and generous with their God given talents.
How you can be praying for us? If I could think of two words to describe the things we would love for you to pray over our family it would be rest and preparation.
- Preparation because August is busy – new school year (two more kids elementary school this year). Children’s ministry facilitate update. Children’s ministry training at each campus and prepping for the “new school year” growth in the children’s ministry!
- Rest – because we need rest in August. This summer has been busy! June was the month of remodeling the basement office to bedroom. July was food preservation month – Amy canned over 75 jars of canned goods from our garden!. August is children’s ministry month AND VACATION. Pray for us as we head out on vacation. Specifically pray that I can unplug, rest, think, reflect, and study and prepare for this next season ahead!
Friends thank you so much for praying for us. Thank you so much for celebrating with us! Thank you for being part of our adventures. Buckle up, we’re just getting started. God’s got much more in store as we listen to Him and do what He says!!